290th Anniversary Celebration

Left to right: Brian Leyfert, Brian Baylor, Pastor Barry Mitchell, Kathy Kulp, Rick Kulp, Bob Radaker, Larry Kemmerer, Susan Gerken, Jan Bourdelle, Karl Monroe, Sandy Frey, Bishop Samuel Zeiser

By: Alice Wanamaker

Pastors Barry and Elizabeth Mitchell along with the congregation of Emmanuel’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bath are pleased to be celebrating the 290th anniversary of the Emmanuel’s Church, establish in 1723.  The celebration began this past Sunday with a special sermon presented by Bishop Samuel Zeiser of the Northeast PA synod of Evangelical Churches in America. The sermon was followed by a groundbreaking ceremony for a 5,000 square foot addition to the current historic church.

According the Church’s historical data, compiled on their website by Ray Walker and Keith K. Bird, the current church is set about 200 feet northwest of the original log cabin church built sometime between 1723-1733. The brick building has been serving as the main center hosting worship, fellowship and Sunday School classes.  Reverend Barry Mitchell is looking forward to the larger space which will provide a larger area for fellowship and will be able to accommodate the contemporary worship service and equipment. The new area will have the capacity to host 300 parishioners at one time, more than doubling current capacity.

While the congregation lacks official or original records of the founding of Emmanuel’s, historians are content with the accuracy they have uncovered and thus have decided to celebrate the anniversary the duration of 2013.   The history will be marked during Sunday School classes, through social ministry and during worship times.  In addition to the groundbreaking, they have set a goal to collect 290 cans of soup for the food bank in January.  This is part of their “290 Challenges” challenge for the year. Other challenges will be announced throughout the year, and the children will continue to learn about the history of Emmanuel’s as the addition is in progress.


For more information about the history of Emmanuel’s Church, you are invited to attend services every Sunday at 8 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. as well as a contemporary service at 9:30 a.m.  There is also a Wednesday Worship at 7 p.m. in the fellowship hall.  Please visit www.Emmanuels.orgfor more info.

 

Tags: ,

Categories : Uncategorized

No Responses to “290th Anniversary Celebration”

Leave a Reply