A Mid Summer’s Dream Is Coming True in the Borough of Northampton at the Farmers Market. It is not a secret. A wonderful variety of locally grown fresh vegetable and fruit produce harvested in the morning is available for sale each Tuesday afternoon on Main Street in Northampton. A Kiffle pastry making vendor is there to serve farm market visitors as well. And now there will be entertainment.
The newly formed Farmers’ Market is being well received by the residents of Northampton Borough and surrounding areas. This new farmers’ market is open every Tuesday from 3:00 to 7:00 PM close to the Roxy Theater near 19th and Main Streets. Next Tuesday August 6th there will also be live entertainment. A family of musicians will serenade farm market customers. The music venue will be at the Lyric Commons across the street from the Roxy Theater on Main Street in Northampton Borough. Carol Simcoe owner of the Lyric Commons arranged to have the Peachey musical Family perform for Northampton Farmers’ Market visitors. The Peachey family recently performed to the delight of Kutztown Fair visitors. Based on their success there, Carol Simcoe invited them to perform in Northampton. Come join us.
Each one of our Northampton Farmers’ Market vendors participates and supports the Farmers’ Market Nutritional Program. In case you were not aware of this Nutritional Program, here are some facts:
- The Farmers’ Market Nutritional Program was established in 1993 to provide fresh fruits and vegetables from farmers’ markets to WIC participants; and to expand consumers’ awareness and use of farmers’ markets.
- WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children and is also called the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program. WIC is a federal program designed to provide food to low-income pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants and children until the age of five. The program provides a combination of nutrition education, supplemental foods, breastfeeding promotion and support, and referrals for health care. WIC has proven effective in preventing and improving nutrition related health problems within its population.
- In Pennsylvania the Farm Market Nutritional Program operates in 67 counties at over 976 market and farm stand sites.
- The program provides checks to WIC participants to purchase locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables at their local farmer’s market every year between June 1 and November 30.
- Pregnant and postpartum women, breastfeeding mothers, and children age 2 by December 31st of that year are eligible.
Next week there will be at least three good reasons to visit the Northampton Farmers Market August 6th from 3:00 to 7:00 PM for everyone to purchase good, fresh locally grown food, with great entertainment, and with an opportunity to use Farmers’ Market Nutritional Program vouchers as a way for those in need to purchase fresh food.
Categories : Northampton